Accounts Receivable Specialist
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 10 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, proactive, and collaborative Accounts Receivable Specialist to join our growing Groundwork Coffee team. As a member of the Finance and Accounting team, you will work closely with different departments including Customer Service, Sales, Operations and the executive team. This position is responsible for managing the collections process while maintaining positive communications with customers.
As a Groundworker, you'll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
What You'll Do:
- Maximize cash in-flows by implementing a collections strategy for the different customer channels
- Customer Set-up
- Perform credit checks on prospective customers;
- Set-up customers in SAP to make sure that all reporting and terms field are accurate
- Assist customers and Customer Service Reps with questions and resolve invoicing discrepancies/issues
- Daily maintenance of A/R
- Identify customers that are to be written off, to be sent to collections, or to be sent to small claims.
- Make daily calls to a specified number of past due customers.
- Send out daily emails to a specified number of past due customers.
- Develop procedures to contact customers w/ past due balances
- Contact Customer with past due balances and arrange payment in a timely manner
- Review past due Food Service Accounts with sales team and develop a plan to collect past due amounts
- Send out statements twice a month.
- Grocery/Distributor Chargebacks
- Enter distributor/grocer chargebacks into ERP system; resolve invalid chargebacks and collect payment
- Generate weekly chargeback reports to review with the Grocery sales team
- Maintain chargeback reporting for Sales team
- Cash Application
- Process Customer Payments (checks/credit cards/cash) into ERP system daily
- Reconcile cash and credit card clearing accounts
- Post funds from all sources online and via email (Amazon, PayPal, Customers, etc)
- Send monthly AR aging reports to sales team and review collections issues with them
- Send weekly AR aging reports to the Executive Team.
- Maintain and report on agreed upon KPIs
- Communicate the status of customer accounts with management
- Record bank feed transactions into our ERP system, SAP Business One
- Enter Retail revenue from our Revel POS system into SAP
- Fulfill Month-end close duties timely and accurately
- Assist accounting team with duties and project-based assignments as needed
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
BS/BA degree in Accounting, Business Admin., Public Administration or related field
3+ years of experience in an A/R role
3+ years of direct collections experience
Microsoft Excel experience and PC Proficiency
Knowledge of ERP software programs for processing invoices and recording data; knowledge of SAP Business One preferred.
Solid understanding of Accounts Receivable (A/R)
Understanding of GAAP a plus
Strong organizational skills
Accurate Data Entry skills
Strong understanding of basic accounting & finance procedures and concepts
Level of negotiating and persuasion when collecting so as to offer a solution acceptable to both parties
Ability to work independently while achieving results
Hands on and curiosity to learn and improve systems and processes
Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences
Attention to detail, thoroughness, and proven ability to follow standard procedures
Articulate customer service and interpersonal skills
Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize workloads
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you'll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun office environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.