Assistant Store Manager (Portland)
Author | groundwork coffee Date | October 23, 2018
For more than 25 years, Groundwork has been a homegrown coffee and tea destination, handcrafting delicious drinks from the finest ingredients. Our borderline-obsessive commitment to each cup and every customer — in warm, inviting cafés that capture the flavor of their neighborhoods — is a fundamental part of our story. Come to think of it, it is our story.
Groundwork rose from the sands of Venice Beach, CA, as a single coffee and tea shop (complete with a custom-built, small-batch roaster) that also sold rare and used books. Local demand soon became so great, we began roasting 24/7 and, wisely, got out of the book business.
Flash-forward a few years: Our single-roaster operation morphed into one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in California and, now, a certified organic roaster in Portland. Our sustainable, relationship-based, organic coffee sourcing set an industry standard, as did our solar-powered, low-emissions roasting technology. Today, we have multiple café locations around L.A. and in Portland, and distribute our coffees and teas throughout the U.S.
We are looking to hire an inspirational, results-driven, and tenaciously customer-centric Assistant Store Manager to join our growing team and ensure that Groundwork’s Retail Operating Philosophy is embraced and modeled by all team members as a means of strengthening our core values.
We design our coffee shops as community hubs, where our team members and customers feel at home and where relationships can flourish. As a Groundwork Assistant Store Manager, you will act as the face, heart, and soul of your store and have a direct influence on the culture of your cafe and the company as a whole. Reporting to Store Manager and the Director of Retail, you’ll leverage your awesome leadership skills and passion for continuous improvement to enable employee, store, and company growth in accordance with our guiding principles:
- We Put Quality First
- We Are Part of a Tradition
- We Sell Our Coffee at its Peak
- We Share Our Knowledge Freely
- We Value Attention to Detail
- We Care for our Planet
- We Care for our People
Groundwork ASMs are exposed to various facets of café store operations from team development to customer engagement and store operations. You’ll wear many hats while conducting yourself within the ethical, legal, and moral boundaries consistent with Groundwork’s values surrounding quality, community, and sustainability. If you love a great a cup of coffee (or tea) and are a career-minded, solutions-oriented, and influential manager with a proven ability to coach teams to success, then please apply today!
We are currently looking to hire candidates for the position of Assistant Store Manager for the following locations:
What You’ll Do:
- Craft a phenomenal first impression to our customers by providing them with a best-in-class customer service experience; Ensure customers know they are welcomed and appreciated; Understand what customers want and help them with what they need
- Support the Store Manager in the areas of recruiting, hiring, and training Baristas, including but not limited to new hire training, orientation, and development;
- Increase profit, sales and control operating expenses by ensuring upkeep of store and equipment;
- Coach, train, and provide performance feedback to all store employees;
- Resolve all customer and store issues in a timely manner;
- Must be able to perform all duties of a Barista;
- Ensure all store equipment is regularly maintained and calibrated. Respond to equipment issues in a timely fashion;
- Consistent involvement and delivery of the highest quality coffees, teas, beverages and baked goods in accordance with Groundwork's distinguishing quality standards;
- Provide ongoing coaching and training on product freshness and quality and ensure that it is a priority for store team;
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- 2-3 years of Store Management experience (Food/beverage experience preferred)
- 1+ year of third-wave coffee experience
- Valid ServSafe or Food Handlers certification
- Ability to communicate effectively under pressure, lead teams and effectively delegate
- Demonstrated ability to sell and increase sales in a retail environment
- Ability to create a positive work environment and demonstrate excellent customer service
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Prioritize and handle multiple tasks and work with a sense of urgency
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please include the position you are applying for in the email subject line as well as the location(s). For example, “Subject: Assistant Store Manager - Portland”.
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.