Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an experienced, efficient, and quality-obsessed Baker to join our growing team and jump-start their career. Under the direction of the Kitchen Manager and in accordance with Groundwork’s standards, you’ll be responsible for preparing and baking all bread-type goods and ensuring product is always ready on-time. As a Groundwork Baker, you will work a full-time schedule from 3:30PM – 12AM (calling all night-owls!); organizing all ingredients, planning out timing and use of techniques for all products to ensure the highest quality standards, promoting safe working habits and following all company and food safety guidelines. If you love a great a cup of coffee (or tea…or pastry), embody a positive “can-do!” attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Proofing; Converting Measurements; Following a prep sheet; Working with a team of bakers to create an efficient and productive work space
- Understand, read, and execute the production schedule
- Set up oven, proofer, and retarder as required for specific production, including oven temperature and bake times
- Prepare products for baking per standard procedure. This includes setting, proofing, thawing, scoring or cutting, placing of toppings like cheese, baking, and cooling
- Unload products from proofer or retarder, and confirm that the products are ready for baking
- Load products inside the oven, and set appropriate temperature, steam (if needed), and time according to company baking guidelines
- Unload products from oven, and confirm that they are within the quality standard
- Accurately record information on production documents, including but not limited to, oven control setting and spoil sheets, in a timely fashion, and place completed documents in their designated place
- Report malfunctioning equipment to supervisor in a timely fashion
- Ensure that all tools, baking trays, and utensils, especially the blades used for scoring, are kept in a safe place, cleaned, and well accounted for
- Comprehend and adhere to operational and safety features of all equipment, including but not limited to, ovens and proofers
- Complete duties in accordance with quality assurance, safety, and other company programs and procedures, in accordance with government codes and regulations
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe work area, including: wiping equipment, cleaning baking trays, tools, containers, dollies; sweeping and mopping floors, and trash removal.
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to communicate in a clear verbal manner and hear conversations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to listen effectively
- Time Management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to consider the Big Picture and accurately scope out length and difficulty of projects
- Ability to learn and apply new knowledge or skills for your work. Willingness to strive for growth and improvement. Commitment to excel in your work
- Be accountable for quality baked goods
- Can-do, friendly, professional, "Win-Win", "Yes!" attitude
- Understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Work cooperatively with subordinates
- Perform math computations (add, subtract, divide, and multiply)
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as production schedules, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Experience in research and development of bread-based products for a retail environment
- Experience in training new staff on recipes, techniques, equipment operation, and company procedures
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.