Coffee Production Roaster
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, independent, and proactive Coffee Production Roaster to join our growing team and jump-start their career. In this role, your primary responsibilities are to correctly follow roasting protocols and profiles to produce roasted coffee within the established specifications. The Production Roaster is also responsible for routine maintenance of the roasters, including but not limited to operating the roaster, correctly adhering to blend recipes and profiles, quality control and some data management. This position is responsible for self-monitoring quality control and is responsible for notifying the Roasting and Quality Control department of any roasts that may fall out of specification. You’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about coffee roasting, then please apply today!
- Roast coffee
- Maintain blend formulas and roast profiles
- Determine roasting needs
- Routine roaster maintenance
- Keep a tidy work area/roasting floor
- Regular QC of your own work
- Notify others of discrepancies with roasts, green coffee inventory, or order fulfillment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Forklift certification
- Fluency in information systems (Cropster/ Inventory Tools) and Quality Control procedures and
- Understanding of needs for daily production for a Roasting Facility (packaging, blending, receiving,
- Understanding and fluency of the coffee roasting process
- Understanding of roast defects and their causes (both sensory and mechanically)
- Understanding of green and roasted coffee inventory management
- Ability to maintain records and documents
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs
- Able to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when needed
- Commitment to company values and vision
- Willingness to pitch-in wherever needed
- Production Scale Roasting Experience (Prefered)
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized HOP Pass