Director of Sales, Grocery
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic and talented Director of Sales, Grocery to join our growing team! The Director of Sales, Grocery is responsible for the development and implementation of growth strategies and expansion in the grocery sales channel and the acceleration of Groundwork Coffee presence throughout the United States. As the voice of the customer and marketplace and in strong partnership with Sales and Marketing, the Director of Sales, Grocery plays a pivotal role in diversifying Groundwork Coffee’s market visibility through new segments and channels. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about Grocery Sales, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with leadership to define, implement, and drive our Grocery sales strategy
- Serve as lead in management of broker partners; work closely with brokers to ensure alignment on business and sales goals. Leverage broker partnerships to build and execute annual plans across the grocery channel.
- Build strong and credible relationships with national key accounts and distributors.
- Report on key metrics associated with the grocery channel, including revenue, profit, productivity, trade spend
- Lead promotional planning, merchandising, and budgeting
- Deliver channel insights, and consistently communicate with the executive leadership team to ensure they’re informed of current trends, requirements, and competitive activity within the grocery channel
- Execute effective distributor management to mitigate waste and ensure the delivery of the freshest and highest quality product for our customers.
- Expand relationships with existing customers by continuously proposing solutions that meet their objectives
- Create sales forecasts
- Manage team members to develop new grocery programs including but not limited to end caps, display racks, and coupons
- Generate reports from SAP and grocery customer portals
- Expand and optimize profitable third party distributor and internal DSD networks
- Work with HR in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and training of regional grocery team members
- Serve as point of contact for the grocery sales team to other departments
- Meet or exceed quarterly sales objectives; identify and address areas for improvement in grocery sales processes
- Collaborate with Marketing to support the implementation and development of market segmentation and channel management strategy, resulting in increased brand awareness and new customer acquisition
- Build and maintain close, trusting relationships with accounts, team members and facilitate open communication
- Be knowledgeable in all aspects of our sales and customer service policies, objectives, and initiatives
- Motivate, lead, and mentor the Grocery sales team by managing the pipeline, setting benchmarks and goals for each member of the team
- Vigilantly safeguard the brand integrity and product quality within grocery accounts, including declining sales opportunities where warranted
- Assist in building and maintaining a positive, energetic culture
- Cultivate an environment of excellence based on outstanding execution Groundwork ambassador responsibilities
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years broker management experience preferred
- 8+ years of sales experience with a proven track record of driving growth
- 5+ years of senior sales management experience
- Experience managing a business of at least $10M in revenue preferred
- Strong financial acumen – command of the P&L and levers to improve
- Advanced negotiation skills, ability to make decisions under pressure
- Must have managed field sales teams
- Must have worked in a leadership capacity, preferably serving as a member of a business unit
- Must possess strong analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM)
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be a plus
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.