Director of Wholesale Operations
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic and talented Director of Wholesale Operations to join our growing team! The Director of Wholesale Operations (DoO) organizes and oversees the daily operations of our wholesale company in Los Angeles, CA. As the cultural and visionary leader of our Los Angeles manufacturing operations, the DoO ensures that our business is well coordinated and productive. The responsibility of this role is broad in scope and thus requires thorough knowledge of various company processes. The ideal candidate is competent and able to plan a variety of operational activities. The DoO is an excellent leader who can discover the most efficient ways to operate and advance the business’s customer service, manufacturing, distribution, compliance / QA, and technical service initiatives. The DoO’s primary objectives are to safeguard and augment the efficiency of the company’s manufacturing operations, while also facilitating oversight of other key departments in the interest of ensuring the company’s long-term success. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Provide process leadership and oversight over the order intake, manufacturing, distribution, and inventory management of manufactured goods components and allied products
- Liaise with Executive team to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Supervise managers from different departments and provide constructive feedback
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives, and apply improvements
- Oversee customer support processes and organize them to enhance customer satisfaction
- Oversee logistics of transporting finished goods from manufacturing sites, to warehouses, to customer locations
- Proactively communicate operational changes and limitations to business partners
- Ensure receipts and inventory movements are recorded in ERP accurately and timely
- Continually identify opportunities to streamline and scale our operations; using data and strategic thinking, influence colleagues and leadership to allocate resources to realize these opportunities
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote implementation
- Evaluate regional performance by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting key data and metrics
- Ensure that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations
- Build and maintain relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for the day-to-day performance of the operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks
- Devise strategies to ensure growth of programs enterprise-wide, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximize output and minimize costs
- Uphold organization policies and standards, ensuring legislative regulations are followed
- Work closely with human resources to lead team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment
- Provide ongoing coaching and training for department managers and their direct reports
- Analyze, develop, and enforce compliance requirements and related processes, including but not limited to GMPs, HACCP, Kosher, CCOF, Non-GMO, and third party vendor requirements.
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Proven experience as manager of operations or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM)
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.