Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We have taken our show on the road! Serving all our delicious beverages, pastries, and quick bites on wheels. We are looking for an energetic, friendly, and tenaciously customer-centric Barista/Driver for our Mobile Espresso Truck (M.E.T.). You’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of third-wave coffee operations. As a Groundwork Barista on the M.E.T., you will be well-versed on manual espresso equipment and our organic product offerings, and take pride in producing the highest quality beverages while also comfortable driving a Mercedes Sprinter van (no CDL required). If you love interacting with customers over a great a cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive and welcoming attitude, and are enthusiastic about perfecting your craft, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
P/T Schedule 24-29 hours a week
(Monday – Friday, some evenings and weekends required).
- Craft a phenomenal first impression to customers by providing a best-in-class customer service experience and
- Execute recipe requirements correctly to consistently produce beverages of the highest quality and products that meet our brand expectations
- Educate customers and staff on types of coffee, teas and espressos carried
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station and keep café area clean and organized
- Ensure appropriate health and safety standards, ServSafe practices
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of products at stations to ensure smooth service
- Maintain proper cash handling and ensure proper procedures are followed
- Open and/or close the location properly and follow the closing checklist
- Reduce product waste and overages
- Maintain a sense of urgency with helping customers
- Drive and park the vehicle at designated areas as dispatched
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Valid CA Driver's License and clean driving record
- Valid ServSafe certification or equivalent Food Handlers card
- 1 year café/barista experience preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships
- Ability to learn and apply new knowledge or skills for your work
- Knowledge of proper bar cleaning methods including manual espresso equipment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and cooperate seamlessly with co-workers, management, and shift leaders
- Ability to work & think independently, make quality decisions in the absence of a supervisor
- Perform math computations (add, subtract, divide, and multiply)
- Ability to lift and or move up to 50lbs
- Previous experience with café POS systems
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
*Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.*
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
*Please include the position you are applying for in the email subject line as well as the location(s). For example, “Subject: Espresso Truck Driver/Barista - Los Angeles”.