Location | Portland, OR
For more than 25 years, Groundwork has been a homegrown coffee and tea destination, handcrafting delicious drinks from the finest ingredients. Our borderline-obsessive commitment to each cup and every customer — in warm, inviting cafés that capture the flavor of their neighborhoods — is a fundamental part of our story. Come to think of it, it is our story.
Groundwork rose from the sands of Venice Beach, CA, as a single coffee and tea shop (complete with a custom-built, small-batch roaster) that also sold rare and used books. Local demand soon became so great, we began roasting 24/7 and, wisely, got out of the book business.
Flash-forward a few years: Our single-roaster operation morphed into one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in California and, now, a certified organic roaster in Portland. Our sustainable, relationship-based, organic coffee sourcing set an industry standard, as did our solar-powered, low-emissions roasting technology. Today, we have multiple café locations around L.A. and in Portland, and distribute our coffees and teas throughout the U.S.
We are looking to hire a competent, resourceful, and tenaciously customer-centric General Manager to oversee the daily operations of our company in Portland, OR and to serve as the cultural and visionary leader of our PNW Business. You must be an excellent leader who can discover the most efficient ways to operate and advance the business. The responsibility of this role is broad in scope and thus requires thorough knowledge of various company processes. You’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution as you ensure the business is well-coordinated and productive. If you are a big-picture thinker with inspirational interpersonal skills and a proven ability to organize and lead, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
The GM’s primary objectives are to safeguard and augment the efficiency of the company’s operations while also facilitating accelerated business development and long-term success.
- Liaise with the Executive team to set strategic goals & make operational decisions
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for the day-to-day performance of operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks across our Portland-based roasting/production, marketing, sales, and retail teams.
- Supervise staff from different departments and provide constructive feedback
- Work closely with human resources to lead team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment
- Manage procurement processes and coordinate material and resource allocation
- Oversee customer support processes and organize them to enhance customer satisfaction
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote implementation
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Ensure that the company complies with established laws and regulations
- Devise strategies to ensure growth of programs enterprise-wide, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximize output and minimize costs
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Proven experience as Director of Operations or equivalent position
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be a plus
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM)
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.