Human Resources Assistant
Location | North Hollywood, CA
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire a detail-oriented, adaptable and people-centric Human Resources Assistant to join our growing team! This is an exciting opportunity to wear many hats and gain exposure to various facets of the Human Resources department as well as the coffee industry. The HR Assistant is a key member of the HR Team and will partner with and support the HR team in delivering end-to-end human resources processes. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are looking to jumpstart your career in Human Resources, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Scan all documents and maintain accurate and up-to-date electronic and hard copy human resources personnel files, records, and documentation while focusing on data integrity, compliance, security, and organization.
- Answer frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refer more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff or management.
- Perform periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Provide clerical support to the HR department.
- Assist with payroll functions including answering employee questions regarding payroll, communicating processing errors, and distributing final paychecks.
- Conduct or assist with new hire orientation.
- Assist with recruitment process as needed.
- Assist with preparation and delivery of termination paperwork, including the preparation of exit interview surveys as well as coordination of all off-boarding activities.
- Assist with ensuring necessary compliance postings are up to date, and trainings are complete (e.g. anti-harassment).
- Assist with auditing Food Handler Card expiration dates
- Assist with planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, company-wide meetings, employee recognition events, holiday parties, etc.
- Maintain and order supplies for department as needed
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- High school diploma required, Associate’s degree preferred.
- 1-2 years experience in human resources or office administration preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact and professionalism.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite.
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn payroll management, human resource information system (HRIS), and similar computer applications.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun office environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.