For more than 25 years, Groundwork has been a homegrown coffee and tea destination, handcrafting delicious drinks from the finest ingredients. Our borderline-obsessive commitment to each cup and every customer — in warm, inviting cafés that capture the flavor of their neighborhoods — is a fundamental part of our story. Come to think of it, it is our story.
Groundwork rose from the sands of Venice Beach, CA, as a single coffee and tea shop (complete with a custom-built, small-batch roaster) that also sold rare and used books. Local demand soon became so great, we began roasting 24/7 and, wisely, got out of the book business.
Flash-forward a few years: Our single-roaster operation morphed into one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in California and, now, a certified organic roaster in Portland. Our sustainable, relationship-based, organic coffee sourcing set an industry standard, as did our solar-powered, low-emissions roasting technology. Today, we have multiple café locations around L.A. and in Portland, and distribute our coffees and teas throughout the U.S.
We are looking to hire an experienced, efficient, and quality-obsessed Line Cook to join our growing team and jump-start their career. Leveraging your knowledge of breakfast and lunch items (such as omelets, scrambles, breakfast burritos, and sandwiches), you’ll wear many hats and do everything from station set up and maintaining cleanliness to running food to the FOH, station break down, and dishwashing. As a Groundwork Line Cook, you will work a full-time schedule, and must be both detail-oriented and able to multi-task. If you love a great a cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive “can-do!” attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
We are currently looking to hire a passionate candidate for the position of Line Cook at the following Portland cafés:
- PT Position at Hawthorne
- PT Position at Vaughn
- FT Position at Vaughn
What You’ll Do:
- Understand, read, and execute the production schedule
- Supervise staff and delegate duties when necessary
- Ensure appropriate health and safety standards and Food Handler practices
- Monitor equipment performance, demonstrate use of new equipment
- Inventory management
- Butcher meats from primal to usable portions with the highest yield possible
- Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items using standardized recipes for cooking in ovens, grills, pans and a variety of other kitchen equipment
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of products served
- Know and comply consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period;
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment
- Prepare item for grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes
- Handle, store and rotate all products properly;
- Complete required tasks within assigned time frame
- Performs related duties such as helping to wash dishes as needed, preparing recycling, cleaning around the establishment and help with any other projects as assigned by the Chef
- If a meal is returned for any reason, correct the problem and report the return to the Chef
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Must have short order and sauté station expertise
- Restaurant experience is required for this position.
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- 1-2 years line cook experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to listen effectively
- Valid ServSafe certification
- Must be able to lift at least 50lbs
- Ability to operate machinery including but not limited to; mixers, blenders, slicers, toasters, ovens, proofers, sandwich presses, and microwaves
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please include the position you are applying for in the email subject line as well as the location(s). For example, “Subject: PT Line Cook- Portland (Hawthorne)”.