Location | Los Angeles
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking for an experienced Marketing Director with start-up experience to lead key initiatives including marketing program planning and execution, new product launches, website and digital campaigns, channel and customer analysis, customer marketing programs and budget management. The Marketing Director will report to the Creative Director and will focus on the following primary objectives:
- Development and implementation of the Brand strategy.
- Developing the marketing strategy for new and existing products.
- Overseeing implementation of the Marketing strategy - including campaigns, events, digital marketing, and PR.
- Working closely with the company’s Sales team; enabling them to meet their commercial objectives by providing them with appropriate tools, materials and presentations.
- Guiding the day-to-day activities of the marketing team.
- Ensuring that the marketing objectives set by the Creative Director are implemented by the marketing team.
- Work closely with product management team to define marketing materials and programs.
- Manage social media presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition.
- Developing and delivering marketing and communications strategies for the organization.
- Undertake continuous analysis of competitive environment and consumer trends.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the development and execution of marketing activation plans from start to finish including managing partner agencies and freelancers to help execute.
- Manage digital marketing initiatives including but not limited to website updates, blog posts, email marketing, paid campaigns, social media, and influencer relations.
- Identify and organize all relevant trade and consumer event participation and sponsorships.
- Work and communicate efficiently and effectively with internal teams including sales, R&D, production, finance, purchasing and production teams to fulfill creative asset deliverables on time.
- Conduct consumer insights and trend reports, category analyses, and competitive assessments to inform marketing strategy, product innovation pipeline, and communications plan.
- Contribute to new product launches concept and product development, consumer testing, packaging design, sales materials, launch programming, volume forecasting, etc.
- Perform regular analyses of category, segments, channels, and retailers for our brands and competitors via syndicated and brand data and update team monthly.
- Own and manage retailer-specific customer marketing programs and work with sales team to develop and execute programs.
What It Takes To Work Here:
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about joining a mission-driven food company, who has 4-6 years of experience in CPG, retail, wholesale and e-comm marketing and is based in Los Angeles.
- Experience with both large (classic training) and smaller (fast-paced, entrepreneurial) CPG companies preferred
- Must be highly organized with strong attention to detail, flexible, self-motivated and able to succeed in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional time management and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong leadership skills to not only lead projects and initiatives but to also lead and influence cross-functional teams
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills to be able to sift through data and create a story from it
- Strong oral and written communication skills – from writing creative briefs to presenting findings to persuading others with facts and insights
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and work cross-functionally with other teammates
- Experience with syndicated data and Microsoft applications
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to include the position you are applying for in the email subject line.
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.