Production Roaster (Night Shift)
Location | North Hollywood
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, independent, and proactive Coffee Production Roaster to join our growing team and jump-start their career. In this role, your primary responsibilities are to correctly follow roasting protocols and profiles to produce roasted coffee within the established specifications. The Production Roaster is also responsible for routine maintenance of the production roasters, including but not limited to operating the production roaster, correctly adhering to blend recipes and profiles, routine maintenance/cleaning, quality control and some data management. This position is responsible for self-monitoring quality control and is responsible for notifying the Quality Control department of any roasts that may fall out of specification. You’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about coffee roasting, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
Evening Schedule, M-F 3:00 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Roast coffee
- Maintain blend formulas and roast profiles
- Determine roasting needs
- Routine roaster maintenance
- Keep a tidy work area/roasting floor
- Regular QC of your own work
- Notify others of discrepancies with roasts, green coffee inventory, or order fulfillment
- Perform other duties as assigned
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Fluency and understanding of Cropster (data logging/inventory reconciliation)
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Understanding and fluency of the coffee roasting process
- Understanding of roast defects and their causes (both sensory and mechanically)
- Ability to maintain records and documents
- Understanding of green and roasted coffee inventory management
- Fluency in Quality Control procedures and protocols
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs
- Ability to research, learn and apply new knowledge or skills for your work.
- Willingness to strive for growth and improvement. Commitment to excel in your work.
- Strong customer-orientation. Can-do, friendly, professional, attitude.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Able to maintain focus when operating in a busy, distracting environment.
- Time Management: the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, work environments, management styles.
- Able to deal skillfully and promptly to new situations, difficulties, etc.
- Ability to receive feedback and coaching from others to learn and improve
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when needed
- Commitment to company values and vision
- Willingness to pitch-in wherever needed
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.