Area Manager, Grocery
Location | Los Angeles, CA
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, talented, and tenaciously customer-centric Area Manager for Grocery to join our growing team! The Area Sales Manager, Grocery is responsible for the development and implementation of growth strategies and expansion in the grocery channel and the acceleration of Groundwork Coffee presence in the southwest region. As the voice of the customer and marketplace, and in strong partnership with executive leadership and Marketing, the position plays a pivotal role in diversifying Groundwork Coffee market visibility through grocery segments and channels. The position assumes overall responsibility for the success of key regional stores by directing all operational aspects of each store and driving sales whilst minimizing costs. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about sales, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and manage promotional calendars for the grocery sales department
- Create sales forecasts
- Develop new grocery programs including but not limited to end caps, display racks, and coupons
- Manage and approve daily purchase orders as needed
- Generate reports from SAP and grocery customer portals and export to Excel
- Analyze weekly, monthly, and quarterly sales data in order to effectively schedule promotions, price reductions, and demonstrations
- Regularly communicate with Operations and Customer Service departments in order to deliver excellent customer service
- Input hours and approve expenses for demonstrators and merchandisers
- Drive the development of a detailed sales plan that is in alignment with the company’s overall sales goals
- Develop tools and strategies with the Senior Sales Manager (Grocery), COO, and Director of Marketing in order to meet sales goals
- Utilize analytics, team member and customer experiences to identify key areas of improvement in the sales process
- Create, implement, and maintain grocery sales programs within each sales channel
- Vigilantly safeguard the brand integrity and product quality within grocery accounts
- Identify accounts with declining sales, the reason and formulate solutions to remedy such issues
- Expand and optimize a profitable third party distributor and DSD network
- Actively manage strategic accounts in the region
- Serve as point of contact for the grocery sales team to other departments and Senior Sales Manager (Grocery)
- Manage grocery sales operations and ensure sustained growth by leading others to achieve success while creating and maintaining a highly active pipeline
- Meet or exceed quarterly sales objectives; identify and address areas for improvement in grocery sales processes
- Create market segmentation and channel management strategy, resulting in increased brand awareness and new customer acquisition
- Build and maintain close, trusting relationships with accounts, team members and facilitate open communication
- Build and maintain positive, professional relationships with our customers
- Be knowledgeable in all aspects of our sales and customer service policies, objectives, and initiatives
- Improve customer service experience by taking ownership of customers' issues and following problems through to resolution
- Assist in building and maintaining a positive, energetic culture
- Cultivate an environment of excellence based on outstanding execution Groundwork ambassador responsibilities
- Manage others to establish and maintain productive and professional relationships with all customers
- Ensure inbound leads receive professional responses in a timely manner
- Collaborate with Coffee, Marketing, Finance, and Ops to continuously update offerings and industry products in the interest of advancing customer experience
- Partner with Marketing team to ensure that prospective and current customers receive applicable sales collateral and materials they needed to represent Groundwork grocery whole bean and cold brew campaigns
- Conduct HQ roastery tours and host product tastings
- Consult prospects on all logistical needs in order to best support customers and showcase Groundwork products
- Assist with grocery and marketing events as directed
What It Takes To Work Here:
- Proven experience as sales manager or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding oral and written communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM) BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be a plus
- Daily travel throughout the southern California region is required. Periodic travel throughout the west coast region (3-7 days/mo.) may be required.
- Must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds
- Can-do attitude and good sense of humor
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.