Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, talented, and tenaciously customer-centric Service Technician to join our growing team and jump-start their career. This in-house Service Technician that is responsible for all equipment installation, repairs and maintenance for Groundwork Cafes, Roasting Facility and Wholesale Customers. The Service Technician works in conjunction with our Sales team, Production team and Operations management as an integral role in the experience we provide our customers while also helping to maintain the quality of our products and safe working environment. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about Maintenance then please apply today!
Monday - Friday *Some weekend, PM, & holiday; On-call required
What You’ll Do:
- Troubleshoot, repair, maintain and exchange equipment as needed
- Complete preventive maintenance tasks as established by the manufactures
- Complete accurate inspections, service & maintenance of equipment to maintain operation & extend equipment life
- Ensure quality beverages and brewed coffee through proper calibration of equipment and water quality
- Ensure strong customer loyalty through professional and reliable service
- Place special orders or calls other vendors to find desired parts/items
- Responsible for maintaining accurate inventory, timely invoicing and proper record keeping.
- Ensure the completion of all work assigned is in accordance with customer and company requirements
- Responsible for attending to facilities issues in a timely manner
- Uses hand tools and power tools for maintenance and repair of Groundwork Facilities
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Use time effectively and efficiently and completes all tasks delegated
- Communicate scheduling needs to the operations manager in a timely manner
- Identify and communicate root causes of equipment issues to store teams and operations manager
- Answer questions regarding the store and its equipment
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Two (2) years “hands on” experience as a Coffee Service Technician
- Experience with a variety of commercial espresso, coffee brewing, coffee grinding equipment and water filtration systems
- The ability to troubleshoot and repair the above mentioned equipment independently
- Must have working knowledge, experience and the ability to perform light plumbing and minor electrical work
- Must have the ability to work on ladders and in tight spaces
- Must have working knowledge, experience and the ability to perform building maintenance duties (e.g. paint, wood working, minor plumbing repairs, etc.)
- Experience with coffee roasting, grinding, packaging equipment is preferred
- Experience with cold brew dispensing systems (e.g. kegerators, regulators, etc.) is preferred
- Valid OR Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., without assistance.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail with ability to read and interpret manuals.
- Excellent customer service skills with desire to exceed customer expectations.
- Ability to work independently in a timely manner, making sure the job is done correctly the first time.
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially subsidized HOP Pass
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.