Location | Portland
For more than 25 years, Groundwork has been a homegrown coffee and tea destination, handcrafting delicious drinks from the finest ingredients. Our borderline-obsessive commitment to each cup and every customer — in warm, inviting cafés that capture the flavor of their neighborhoods — is a fundamental part of our story. Come to think of it, it is our story.
Groundwork rose from the sands of Venice Beach, CA, as a single coffee and tea shop (complete with a custom-built, small-batch roaster) that also sold rare and used books. Local demand soon became so great, we began roasting 24/7 and, wisely, got out of the book business.
Flash-forward a few years: Our single-roaster operation morphed into one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in California and, now, a certified organic roaster in Portland. Our sustainable, relationship-based, organic coffee sourcing set an industry standard, as did our solar-powered, low-emissions roasting technology. Today, we have multiple café locations around L.A. and in Portland, and distribute our coffees and teas throughout the U.S.
We are looking to hire an energetic, talented, and tenaciously customer-centric Service Technician to join our growing team and jump-start their career. The Service Technician must be able to perform the following tasks, including but not limited to; Repair and maintenance of all coffee, espresso and cold brew related equipment, light plumbing, and minor electrical. Must have skills and knowledge of water filtration standards, repair and maintenance.
You’ll work in conjunction with roasters and production staff to maintain and repair roasting and production equipment throughout the facility. Responsible for maintenance and repairs of all coffee, espresso and cold brew related equipment in each retail location.
Required to be familiar with and use hand tools and power tools common to the skills listed and be well versed in the disciplines mentioned above. Must be able to read and interpret drawings and service/installation manuals. Additionally, the Service Technician will be expected to take part in regular facilities maintenance projects, both at the production facility and retail locations.
What You’ll Do:
- Troubleshoot, repair, maintain and exchange equipment as needed
- Uses hand tools to work with equipment in the field
- Ensure the completion of all work assigned in accordance with customer and company requirements
- Ensure strong customer loyalty through professional and reliable service
- Complete accurate inspections, service and maintenance of equipment in order to maintain equipment operation and extend equipment life
- Complete preventive maintenance tasks as established by the manufacturers
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Responsible for attending to facilities issues in a timely manner
- Use time effectively and efficiently and completes all tasks delegated
- Ensure quality beverages and brewed coffee through proper calibration of equipment and water quality
- Communicate needs of operations manager and to the retail store managers
- Communicate scheduling needs to the operations manager in a timely manner
- Place special orders or call other vendors to find desired parts/items
- Identify and communicate root causes of equipment issues to store teams and operations manager
- Answer questions regarding the store and its equipment
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Minimum two (2) years' experience in a similar or related field; Ability to work on commercial espresso, coffee brewing, coffee grinding and water systems
- Valid OR Driver's License and clean driving record
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., without assistance
- Experience with beverage brewing systems is preferred
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail with ability to read and interpret manuals
- Excellent customer service skills with desire to exceed customer expectations
- Ability to work independently in a timely manner, making sure job is done correctly the first time
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.