Location | Los Angeles
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an outgoing, reliable, and tenaciously customer-centric Shift Lead to join our growing team and jump-start their career. Leveraging your superior communication skills and experience in specialty coffee, tea, and drink preparation, you’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of third-wave café operations. As a Groundwork Coffee Shift Lead, you will perform all of the job responsibilities of the Barista, while also taking an active role in creating and maintaining a positive store environment, making improvements with customer feedback in mind, and communicating effectively with all levels of the organization to prioritize tasks at hand. You will be well-versed on manual espresso equipment and our organic product offerings, and take pride in producing the highest quality beverages while also displaying a willingness to strive for continual growth and improvement. If you love interacting with customers over a great a cup of coffee (or tea), and constantly strive to push yourself and others for best results, then please apply today!
We are currently looking to hire candidates for the position of Shift Lead for the following locations:
- North Hollywood
- Rose in Venice
What You’ll Do:
- Craft a phenomenal first impression to customers by providing a best-in-class customer service experience
- Consistently execute recipe requirements correctly to produce beverages of the highest quality and products that meet our brand expectations
- Operations: Protect employees and customers by providing a safe and clean store environment; Maintain accurate cash handling and follow proper protocol for securing store funds; Open and close the store, following the closing checklist; Manage and maintain shift changes and daily tasks through use of shift planner; achieve goals assigned by manager and utilize staff and resources available
- Communication: Communicate needs of customer and store to the Store Manager; Ensure availability of merchandise and services by communicating with the Store Manager; Maintain operations by initiating, coordinating and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures; Maintain the stability and reputation of the store by complying with legal requirements; Identify current and future customer needs by establishing rapport with potential and actual customers
- Self-Development/Education: Execute program initiatives and ensure staff is knowledgeable in products; Personally commit to and actively work to continuously improve; Set example for staff through consistent performance and adherence to quality standards; Develop product knowledge for self and overall store through tastings
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- 1+ year barista experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships
- Ability to learn and apply new knowledge or skills for your work
- Knowledge of proper bar cleaning methods including manual espresso equipment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and cooperate seamlessly with co-workers, management, and shift leaders
- Ability to work & think independently, make quality decisions in the absence of a supervisor
- Perform math computations (add, subtract, divide, and multiply)
- Ability to lift and or move up to 50lbs
- Previous experience with café POS systems
- Maintain a minimum availability of 30 hours and communicate scheduling needs to Store Manager in a timely manner
- Valid ServSafe certification or equivalent Food Handlers card
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
Select your preferred location below and submit an application: