Shipping and Fulfillment Supervisor
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 10 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire a cultural and visionary leader for our Shipping operations, to ensure that our business is well coordinated and productive. The Shipping and Fulfillment Supervisor (SFS) ensures orders are completed and shipped in a timely manner, and that Shipping department staff is working in an effective manner and all daily tasks are completed on time. This individual oversees a team of leads and associates. The SFS executes analysis, reporting, and advises on warehousing, shipping/receiving, and inventory control processes and practices throughout all stages of fulfillment. This individual exhibits a high level of responsibility in maintaining communications between the coffee roasting, packaging, delivery, shipping/receiving, and customer service teams. The SFS is responsible for providing effective, professional, efficient, accurate, informative, and friendly support to Groundwork customers and staff. This individual utilizes in-depth knowledge of company policies and procedures, and partners with the Customer Service team and related departments to maintain, elevate, and grow fulfillment operations, as well as ensure quality and efficiency.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Assist in overseeing the planning and execution of day’s orders, including shipping methods and holding locations
- Ensure daily log of completed orders is maintained
- Oversee proper receiving procedures
- Maintain daily Receiving Log
- Inspect receiving for accuracy and quality
- Ensure received shipments are stocked and available for outbound orders
- Assist in planning and maintaining inventory control
- Direct stocking of inventory
- Maintain and project stock levels
- Communicate inventory needs to management and purchasing departments
- Order Packaging and necessary warehouse materials
- Communicate with various departments to assist with inventory and shipping requests
- Maintain Safety protocols in and around the warehouse
- Maintain and Direct the cleanliness of the warehouse, work areas, and parking areas
- Enact and Oversee Daily Opening and Closing procedures
- Create Bills of Lading, and oversee the proper preparation of freight shipments
- Use software to track, check, and prioritize orders
- Manage important documents such as advanced shipping notice, pick slips, bills of lading etc.
- Direct the flow of packages from preparation to shipment
- Supervise and lead subordinates (receiving clerks, order pickers etc.)
- Collaborate with warehouse, purchasing and other managers to optimize processes
- Resolve issues regarding shipped orders
- Ensure compliance to legal regulations and company policies
- Report to management on activities and issues
- Proven experience as manager of operations or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM)
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, standing and walking on even and uneven surfaces within the facility, stoop, bend, twist, lean, grasp, and occasional lifting of 50 lbs. or less.
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you'll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun office environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!