Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
Have to be able to work a busy commissary kitchen, have a sense of urgency, and must be a team player. Training is provided. Must be good at working under pressure. Plenty of room for growth for the right candidate. If you love the kitchen and constantly strive to push yourself and others for best results, then please apply today!
- Understands and consistently complies with company standards, cooking methods, reading recipes, quality standards, and kitchen processes and procedures.
- Prepares, cooks, and assembles all prepared food and packaged goods correctly, following standard recipes and special orders as required.
- Tracks and reports any food waste
- Full responsibility of inventory management and schedules prep lists
- Ensure you are serving creative and nutritious food to locals.
- Work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Clearly communicating with kitchen staff and management.
- Creating a hospitable atmosphere of professionalism, integrity, and efficiency.
- Maintain a clean working environment.
- Able to manage food costs and build relationships with food vendors
- Fast learner: Quickly learns recipes and operations.
- Attention to detail: Cares about the integrity of the food items and presentation.
- Get the work done.
- Effective communicator.
- Computer savvy.
- Ability to use feedback and coaching to learn and improve.
- Minimum 4 years Lead Cook experience.
- Ability to manage a team.
- Can work morning shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Has reliable transportation to work.
- Comfortable with main languages spoken in the kitchen (English/Spanish).
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every other week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass