Location | North Hollywood, CA
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, proactive, and collaborative Staff Accountant to join our growing Groundwork Coffee team. As a member of the Finance and Accounting team, you will work closely with different departments including Sales, Marketing, Operations, Retail and the executive team. This position works with a team of 3 others reporting to the Accounting Manager.
As a Groundworker, you'll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Process Payroll
- Ensure accuracy of employee data as it relates to payroll – hours, tips, sick/PTO accruals
- Report financial data (labor, sales, deductions, etc.) to appropriate departments
- Bank account reconciliations
- Balance sheet account reconciliations
- Process customer payments (checks, ACH, credit card)
- Process monthly sales commission payments
- Review and determine validity of customer chargebacks; file disputes for invalid chargebacks
- Ensure that sales are correctly and accurately reported in the appropriate period
- Assist with month-end closing process
- Process and record payments to health insurance companies
- Process and record employee 401k contributions
- Assist with external audit/review process
- Record month-end/year-end accrual journal entries
- Process quarterly sales and use tax returns
- Assist with other financial reporting/accounting requests as needed
- Billing and giving a high volume of collection calls
- Preparing financial reports as needed
- Processing daily cash and check deposits
- Scanning and filing a high volume of paperwork
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT IT TAKES TO ROCK THIS ROLE:
- Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2 years’ experience in accounting
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Good GAAP and financial reporting technical skills.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Credibility, ethical, full disclosure and clean financial history.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Maintain documents and records.
- Experience with POS systems (e.g. Revel).
- Experience with accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks).
- Experience with B2B online ordering system.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when needed, understands the ethical standards of a CPA.
- Ability to handle payroll including the mental conflicts that are associated with this responsibility
- Accountable for specific performance.
- Commitment to company values and vision.
- Ability to work evening and weekend shifts when needed.
- Computer proficiency.
- Experience with Paycom a plus
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you'll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun office environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.