Assistant Store Team Lead
Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an inspirational, results-driven, and tenaciously customer-centric Assistant Store Team Lead to join our growing team. We design our coffee shops as community hubs, where our team members and customers feel at home and where relationships can flourish. The Assistant Store Team Lead excels at all Barista and Shift Lead responsibilities and ensures all Groundwork standards and values are understood, embraced, and modeled by team members. Reporting to the Store Team Lead, the Assistant Store Team Lead upholds and implements store initiatives and drives for results; continuously seeking improvements to enable store and company growth.
- We Put Quality First
- We Are Part of a Tradition
- We Sell Our Coffee at its Peak
- We Share Our Knowledge Freely
- We Value Attention to Detail
- We Care for our Planet
- We Care for our People
Groundwork Assistant Store Team Leads are exposed to various facets of café store operations from team development to customer engagement and store operations. You’ll wear many hats while conducting yourself within the ethical, legal, and moral boundaries consistent with Groundwork’s values surrounding quality, community, and sustainability. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea) and are a career-minded and solutions-oriented, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Lead team in prioritizing serving guests above other tasks in the store and demonstrate that guests are welcomed and appreciated; guests are helped with a sense of urgency.
- Utilize the Groundwork shift planner and train team members to do so as well.
- Execute the scheduling and deployment of staff to ensure that all team members work effectively together to provide superior customer service and avoid CA lunch penalties.
- Consistently deliver unequaled, high-quality beverages and baked goods in accordance with company standards.
- Enable Shift Leads to control product freshness and quality.
- Act as a role model for adherence to store policies.
- Utilize Service Fundamentals tools for company audits to measure, coach, and hold the team accountable for quality.
- Ensure all store equipment is regularly maintained and calibrated.
- Ensure that store cleanliness and organization are a priority for the team and that standards for cleanliness and organization are met and adequately reflect the quality of the Groundwork brand.
- Lead team in keeping proper stock levels in place and performing regular inventories.
- Administer health and safety guidelines, including proper functioning of all store equipment.
- Consistently role model exceptional service for all team members.
- Use customer feedback as a resource to improve the quality of service.
- Lead staff in building their expertise of coffees, teas, and merchandise so that they may accurately answer customer questions and make personal recommendations.
- Provide ongoing coaching and training on product freshness and quality to ensure it is a priority for the team.
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Valid ServSafe certification or equivalent Food Handlers Card.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, clean driving history, and MVR with no restrictions.
- 2 years of shift lead experience is highly preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively under pressure, lead teams and effectively delegate.
- Ability to create a positive work environment and demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Must possess the ability to work/think independently and make quality decisions in the absence of a supervisor.
- Brand Ambassador for Groundwork and well versed in learning the product and sharing with customers.
- Must be able to perform math computations (add, subtract, divide, and multiply).
- Must be able to perform basic computer tasks and can navigate operation applications.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Available to work 30 hours per week, specifically required to be available on weekends to work and drive company van for weekly Farmer's Market.
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Candidate must be able to lift and/or move items of 50lbs or more.
- Prioritize and handle multiple tasks and work with a sense of urgency.
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every other week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.