Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an outgoing, energetic, and tenaciously community-centric Barista to join our growing team and jump-start their career. Leveraging your knowledge and experience in specialty coffee, tea, and drink preparation, you’ll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of third-wave café operations. As a Groundwork Barista, you will be well-versed on manual espresso equipment and our organic product offerings, and take pride in producing the highest quality beverages while also displaying a willingness to strive for continual growth and improvement. If you love interacting with customers over a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a friendly and welcoming attitude, and are enthusiastic about your perfecting your craft, then please apply today!
Must have Weekend availability
What You’ll Do:
- Craft a phenomenal first impression to customers by providing a best-in-class customer service experience and
- Execute recipe requirements correctly to consistently produce beverages of the highest quality and products that meet our brand expectations
- Educate customers and staff on types of coffee, teas and espressos carried
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station and keep café area clean and organized
- Ensure appropriate health and safety standards, ServSafe practices
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of products at stations to ensure smooth service
- Maintain proper cash handling and ensure proper procedures are followed
- Open and/or close the location properly and follow the closing checklist
- Reduce product waste and overages
- Maintain a sense of urgency with helping customers
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- 1 year café experience preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships
- Ability to learn and apply new knowledge or skills for your work
- Knowledge of proper bar cleaning methods including manual espresso equipment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and cooperate seamlessly with co-workers, management, and shift leaders
- Ability to work & think independently, make quality decisions in the absence of a supervisor
- Perform math computations (add, subtract, divide, and multiply)
- Ability to lift and or move up to 50lbs
- Previous experience with café POS systems
- Valid ServSafe certification or equivalent Food Handlers card
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every other week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Paid Time Off: Sick Hours
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.