DIY Mezcal Madagascar Vanilla Extract
Prep my favorite drink recipe with me!
The prospect of a hot coffee makes getting out of bed on frigid winter mornings less dreadful, especially when I have zesty, warming drink ingredients already prepped. No need to brave the cold (or a chilling credit card statement) to enjoy fancy drinks from a cafe – with some foresight, prepping extracts is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to spice up your coffee.
This Mezcal Madagascar Vanilla Extract is my take on the basic DIY vanilla vodka extract (adapted from Food & Wine). In a few weeks, it will make a smoky, savory and sweet beverage.
Ingredients (makes 2 oz extract, which can be proportionally scaled up)
- 1 whole Madagascar vanilla bean pod
- Because they’re pricey, I suggest buying exactly the number of pods you want to use from a store that offers them in bulk (like my favorite, re_ ).
- 2 oz Mezcal
- I used Legendario Domingo Guerrero.
- Slice the vanilla pod lengthwise to expose the beans (this ensures better flavor extraction). If necessary, cut or bend the pod in half so that it’ll be fully submerged in the alcohol (this prevents mold!).
- Place the vanilla pod in a food-safe glass container like an old spice jar.
- Pour the Mezcal over the pod, making sure it’s fully submerged.
- Store the sealed jar in a cool, dry place for 4 - 6 weeks. Shake it once a week. Hint: once your extract smells more like vanilla than Mezcal you’re ready to go!
Now we wait…
Stay tuned for the smoked vanilla copitas recipe in the coming weeks!Written by
Barista & Blogger