New Year's Eve recipe: Midnight Coffee Cocktail
To start off 2024 right, I crafted this hydrating and energizing Midnight Coffee Cocktail that will help you maximize New Year’s Eve and the morning after.
This drink's deep blue-purple hue and touches of gold and sparkle are reminiscent of a clear midnight sky. It showcases cold brew to keep you alert and coconut water to hydrate you through the night. Butterfly pea flower (from the Clitoria ternatea plant) adds a host of health benefits and a blue or purple hue to drinks (which changes depending on the pH!). Both lemon and salt have been used in coffee drinks around the world for ages to reduce bitterness and enhance sweetness. Finally, vodka just adds more fun ;)
This cocktail is actually quite tame and sweet thanks to the natural sweetness of both coconut water and cold brew. For friends who aren’t drinking either coffee or alcohol, you can omit one or both and a butterfly pea flower drink is still delicious.
With no added sweetener, this cocktail helps you avoid the dreaded sugary hangover, and you can drink it again at New Year’s brunch!
Ingredients & equipment (Makes 2 drinks)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 shots vodka
- 1 tsp butterfly pea flower powder
- 1 lemon
- A pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
- 4 oz (about 2 shot glasses) cold brew concentrate. I suggest a fruity medium roast like Black Magic or Warm Wishes, pre-ground cold brew beans or ready-to-go concentrates.
- 2 martini glasses
- Cocktail shaker
- Whisk or fork
- Peeler or knife
- A few ice cubes
- If you’re making cold brew concentrate, do that the day before.
- Salt the rim of the glasses: run a lemon wedge around the rim of the glass and then flip the glass and dip the rim in a layer of salt on a plate.
- Add vodka and butterfly pea flower to the shaker and whisk well.
- Add coconut water, cold brew, a big squeeze of lemon, and ice, then shake vigorously.
- Carefully peel two slices of lemon rind.
- Pour the drink into the martini glasses and garnish with a lemon rind.
Cheers to 2024!