A few tips to start
It’s best to keep coffee in whole-bean form to ensure freshness until brewing. Grind only the amount of coffee that’s needed and make sure to have the proper grind setting for the method of brewing. If the coffee is ground too fine, the results will be bitter and over-extracted. If the coffee is ground too coarse, the results will be watery and under-extracted.
To brew the best cup for any method, we recommend using a scale and measuring your coffee by weight. If you don't have a scale, we also provide measurements by volume so you can still brew a great cup of coffee.
What You’ll Need
#4 Paper Filter
Hario Range Server (optional)
Perfectly Brewed In 3 minutes
To make 12 oz coffee
Coffee | 24 g (about 4 tablespoons)
Water | 370 g (about 1.5 cups)
1. Place the #4 filter in the Clever Dripper, then rinse the filter, and pre-heat the Clever Dripper with at least 370 g (about 1.5 cups) of hot water.
This will remove any papery flavors imparted by the filter and ensure the temperature of your water doesn't drop when you begin to brew. Once the filter is completely saturated with hot water, discard the rinse water.
2. Grind 24 g of coffee to a medium-fine grind.
The texture should be just slightly finer than the consistency of sand.
3. Add coffee to the Clever Dripper, gently leveling the coffee in the brew bed.
4. Bring your water to a full rolling boil, or 210°F. Let your water stand for about one minute before beginning to brew.
5. Start a timer for 2:30 and gently pour water onto the ground coffee in the Clever Dripper, stirring to ensure that all of the grounds are saturated.
Place the lid on the brewer to insulate.
6. After the timer sounds (at 2:30), gently give the coffee another stir and place the Clever Dripper on a pre-heated carafe or range server to drain.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
You snooze, you lose.
Sign up for our newsletter and get 10% off your next order.
Plus, be the first to hear about exclusive offers, new products, and Groundwork goings-on.